Monday, January 11, 2010

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

As I read these books I cannot quite fathom why I avoided fantasy books as a kid. I will admit that I was willing to attempt to read these books as an adult BECAUSE OF my enjoyment of the movies. I cannot recall ever reading a book because I had watched the movie, and I have avoided watching certain movies because I don't want my mental images tweaked by Hollywood. But I know that without having watched the movies I would be hard pressed to keep many of the characters or locations clear. And truth be told I don't really mind picturing Viggo Mortensen or the beautiful New Zealand landscapes from the movies.

I started reading Book One on vacation in a log cabin without electricity surrounded by bucolic harmony. My passion and eagerness to read Two Towers and Return of the King has certainly diminished as I returned to modern life but I can imagine reading them again in a couple years.

No comments:

Post a Comment